Thursday 3 September 2015

YEARS ARE TOO SHORT (For my school magazine)

Years are too short   

September 2005, I first climbed up the stairs of IIS with my mother holding my hand, to attend my first day of the school. I got into my class, laid my bag down, sat down, and waved my mother goodbye. I smiled at my new friends who were staring at me as if they have never seen a human before, just then the class teacher came, and told me her name – believe it or not it was Sharon ma’am, and she is my present Biology teacher –  just as I thought nothing could go wrong, the bell rang, it rang as loudly as it could, this made me go nuts. I ran to the door so that I could escape, but Sharon ma’am kept the door close until I returned to my seat. And this, my friends was my introduction to this institution where I have been a part since then.
There have been many incidents some good ones, some bad ones, some great ones and some really embarrassing ones. But all of these incidents and accidents that I had to go through or face in the past years, in this school, gave me a new moral to learn and an experience to remember. The cover page of our School diary states - “Each day used is a new opportunity……….” And I will never forget the opportunity I got to learn the word meaning of “article”. On a fine day in 3’rd STD, a teacher came rushing to my class and asked-“Who is Cherryn?” I stood up. She asked me “Did you write an article for school magazine?” Till then, I only knew the article in the English grammar (a, an and the).Seeing me confused, the teacher took me to a room (Now examination room), and showed me a paper, I suddenly recognized it as my 2’nd STD English holiday homework. And that’s when I learned that an article also means a written composition.
“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistake” well I have made many mistakes, but there are some that I can never forget. In 4’Th STD, we friends, had a competition between ourselves. Who would use the minimum number of pages to complete one whole exam, was the competition theme. I got interested in this and strived hard to win the competition. I actually managed to complete my SA1 Maths exam in just within 2 pages, which might have required minimum 6 pages, avoiding margins and mixing working columns and writing between lines. And I was proud of winning the competition until Reena ma’am (maths teacher) shouted at me for 10 whole minutes for making the paper a mess. Even though I felt sad then, now I feel a smile on my lips when I think about that.
Believing in the verses “The journey of thousand miles starts with a single step” I pray that the step that I took years back, may lead me through the long journey that has to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment