Thursday 3 September 2015

HOMEWORK IS AN OBSTACLE IN THE PROGRESS OF THE STUDENTS (a short speech for debate)

Respected moderator, judges, teachers and my dear friends
I am here to propose the motion “Homework is an obstacle in the progress of the students ” 
When I say this I can see a glittering in the eyes of my friends who are going to oppose me- to be very specific , Kiran and --- your face says that you hate Home work and would like to ralley behind me in supporting this motion.
Let me go to a small sideline storey of the Epic Ramayana. Once Lord Ram was walking in the jungle with his heavy weight Gandheevam in hand.  He felt thirsty. He kept the bow slanting on a tree and got down to the nearby pond to get some water. He came back and took back gandheevam. He heard a sigh from the bottom of the tree and he found a frog. Ram felt sorry that he kept the heavy weight on the poor creature, he asked why did not you cried out when I kept down. The frog replied” lord you are the God who saves all and if you yourself is putting the heavy weight on my shoulder – how can I cry. “
Let me look into the eyes of the teachers and the curriculum experts and repeat the words of that small frog..our childhood is given into your hands, not to burden it with home works but to guide it to the world of imaginations and inventions.  Home works given are often a continuation of the class work either a repetition of the problems already solved in the class or a copy pasting of the notes or texts. The little minds of the students are tied up to the same thoughts and same ways- denying them the chance to explore their capabilities. When my papa and mummy say about their childhood- I feel ashamed of myself. I am unable to go out to fields to see the nature and to play till the sun sets in the west. Because, the moment I enter in my home, back from the school, the two heavy letters H and W are blinking like red signal in front of me.
You may think that if we do not do home work we will not excel in our studies and we will never achieve what we should become. But dear all I have to tell you that the greatest of the scientists neither Thomas Alva Edison nor Albert Einstein did home works… none of the modern era scientists who are products of home works are honored like them. 

Thus I would like to conclude that Homework is really an obstacle in the progress of the students.
Thankyou.

No comments:

Post a Comment