Thursday 3 September 2015

IS INTERNET THE NEED OF THE HOUR (a short speech on the the topic for school debate)

Respected moderator, judges , teachers and my dear friends
I am here to oppose the motion “Internet is the need of the hour” 
 Suppose there is a screw immersed in the wall, and the principal is asking us to unscrew it--what is the need of the hour ?   I see a group of my friends crying loudly, a screw driver is the need of the hour. But I say it is not the screw driver but the action to unscrew is the need of the hour. You can use a screw driver or a pair of pliers or a hammer or even a 100 fills coin to unscrew it. The tool you select will depend on the availability and the compatibility – It is just the way but not the destination.
When I start speaking against the motion “Internet is the need of the hour” an obituary note that came on TV few days back is coming into my mind. One of the most wanted authors of this century, the Nobel Prize winner Mr. Gunter Grass left this life leaving behind his literature works for the generations to come. I remember watching an interview with him. He declared-“ I have no mobile, I have no face book account, nor I use internet- because I am connected to this world without all these. “
As we hear a lot of speeches claiming that the internet is the need of the hour, I exclaim – my god what is going to happen if the internet is cut for a day..? will it be as serious as a NO OXYGEN SITUATION..? I can see a smile at many faces in front of me, which can be read as below: hay man when we say need of the hour that does not mean it is the life supportive, but is needed to live in this modern world.
Dear All, I agree Internet is a toll of modern life, which will help us to solve many situations, which will help us with a flow of information, which will support us to get rid of many ques and of many formalities;  Online orders, online payment and with even online marriages.  But a small error that makes this generation upside down is hidden in this motion.
This error is not generated by internet, but by the human nature. It is human to get accustomed to the situations; the new generation has got accustomed to this tool in such a way that they surrendered themselves to it and call it as the need of the hour. To act as a slave to anything is human. We call it addiction.  Swami Vivekananda in the light of Bhagavat Geetha explained such situations in detail and called for a Nish Kama karma- or a detached life. You can use all facilities and create anything you want, but keep detached with it. Use this world and your creativity and thoughts as the tools to establish you and to express yourself- not become a slave of your tools and products. Then only you can be called a real human.
Dear all, Internet is the tool of the hour, the best usable tool of the hour- which will help us to meet many needs of the hour. By considering the tool itself as the need of the hour, you are derailing from the journey to destination. All of us experience the same in our dealings- students forget to study, doctors forget to report to clinic and children forget they are the loved children of their parents.  Give the tools the space of the tool only, not the space of the ultimate destination.
Hence I object to this motion. Internet is not the need of the hour, but it is the tool of the hour.

Thanks you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment